Review of Tristan and Danika Series by R.K. Lilley

Ok peeps, in honor of Mrs. Lilley and her upcoming release of "The Wild Side" I will posting all three (3) of my reviews of her latest and completed Trilogy, "Tristan and Danika" Series. This series will go down as one of my favorites. I loved these two dearly and hated saying goodbye! 

Enjoy

Lynne



So, I don't know if I can call myself the biggest RK Lilley fan out there, but I think I come pretty close. After reading the amazing "Up in the Air " series by Ms. Lilley, I was excited when she treated us to an excerpt of "Bad Things" at the end of "Grounded".

"Bad Things" is Tristan and Danika's back story of their relationship . How it began and how it ended up the way it did in "Up in the Air". Danika starts out as a nanny and college student who has a penchant for bad boys (and what woman doesn't love bad boys!?). After being burned one too many times, she has completely sworn them off. Tristan of course comes in the like the wind, sweeping her off her feet and making her fall head over heels for him. They first started out innocently. He gets her to live a little like the 21 year old that she is and he begins to heal old wounds from a previous and damaging relationship. They call themselves best friends, but as we all know; a man and a woman can never truly be friends if deep feelings begin to come into play (and don't say that they can be friends because they can't, so stop!) And of course, that exactly what happens here.

I have to say their relationship is/was an emotional roller coaster and as a reader, I enjoyed every part of it. Danika is a feisty ass female who doesn't take any shit from anyone. Do you know how refreshing that is? For a female character in the book to actually have a brain and a strong voice??! Love that! As for Tristan...Tristan...Tristan...*drools*. Sorry...What can I say. Sexy, tall, muscular, tattoos and can make Danika submit to him in the bedroom like no other. Tristan is pure alpha male (and I just love my alpha males!).

Tristan and Danika together are intense. You felt like you were in the book as one of their friends watching step by step how their relationship unfolded. Ms. Lilley has a fine way of drawing you in, getting you to know the characters as if they are a part of your life. The many times she had me wanting to hug the both of them and say "it will be ok" or had me gripping my kindle were endless. I actually slowed down my reading towards the last 60 pages of the book because I didn't want it to end. I'm all about the not so easy love, angst and mind blowing sex in a novel. And Ms. Lilley delivers, yet again! Also, as a treat, we get an excerpt into the next installment of the series, "Rock Bottom". I need that book as of yesterday. These two are becoming my favorite book couple. I can only imagine where Ms. Lilley will take this series next. One thing is for sure, I'll be there for the ride. "Bad Things" could be read as a standalone series. But honestly, do yourself a favor and read the "Up in the Air" series first. You get James Cavendish, what more could you ask for?? LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book. I could very well see myself re reading this book again! This book is getting a 5 out of 5 from me.








How does she do it? How does Mrs. Lilley make you feel like you've been hit by a MAC truck and left to just wither or make you feel like you've had your heart stomped on over and over again? Now these maybe extremes, but when a book leaves you with these feelings I call THAT some damn good writing. Once again she done that to me and I don't know how long it will take for me to fully recover.

"Rock Bottom" by R.K. Lilley is the 2nd book in the Tristan and Danika series. Stop now if you have not read, "Bad Things", which is book one. This review may get a bit spoilerish and I dont want to ruin the experience that is Tristan and Danika. From this book, you truly understand why they are at odds when first introduced in "Grounded" also by Lilley. "Rock Bottom" picks up after the death of Tristan's brother. Danika and Tristan, in different ways, are grieving over his death and trying to move on. Danika is slowly coming to terms and Tristan is slowly coming apart as the seams. After a record exec takes a big interest in his band and signs them to a recording contract and promotional tour. The bond that is Tristan & Danika slowly starts to crack..leading them both to heartache, loss, despair and ultimately, rock bottom.

God, this book literally broke my heart in two. The thing about their story is that the 1st half basically was full of a mixed happiness. They had their good times and they had their bad times. And boy when they had their bad times, it was a freaking doozy. You were always feeling that it was the calm before a big and powerful storm. That at any moment the bottom was sure about to fall out. The angst in this book was at an all time high. And I just love that. I said before, angst don't always work for a character couple, but for these two it was so damn good. I know my heart was thumping a few times in this book. The things that I would have never guess in a million years happened in this book. And honestly I can understand why Danika treats Tristan like he's a cancer.

The one thing about Danika and that I love about her is that she is a ride or die chick. She is woman who stands by her man. She was very much in love with Tristan and supported him through so much. But at what point do you say enough is enough? She was questioning herself many times throughout this book. I felt so bad for what Danika had to endure. My head is still reeling from it. I just want to freaking hug her.

Tristan..Tristan. Is it ok to say that I kinda wasn't feeling him in this book? After the 1st book I swear he had me swooning and putting him 1st on my book boyfriend list. Now, I want to punch his damn face in. I'm sorry, but he did Danika so wrong in this book. And yes not only was he grieving his bother's death but someone else's which you will read about in the book, I just felt at every turn he just wasn't there for her. Tristan needed to be shaken a few times. He was losing a good woman and it took him forever to realize that. You can't stay Danika wasn't there for him. She tried so many times to change him and the path he was leading. Up until the sad and bitter end.

This book had it all: amazing sex, angst, funny moments, sad and great character build up. Told from dual POVs of Danika and Tristan this book was a GREAT follow up. You even got a POV from Frankie. Read the series please so you know who I'm talking about. Love Frankie to pieces. Out of 5 I'm giving this book 100 stars. I know 100 is not out of 5. But its my review I can do what I want. Just a fair warning prepare your heart. Once that fall starts, you are in for a ride of your life. Book 3 should be out in Early 2014. All of us that have read this book are all saying the same thing, "Early 2014 better mean January!







After reading the devastatingly great, Rock Bottom, and being in a book funk for what seemed like...FOREVER. I wanted this book so badly. I needed this book so badly. Well I got it and I'm having such a hard time with saying goodbye. I got my reunion, their growth, their passionate and wild sex and their happily ever after. What more could I ask for?? Nothing. I am just in mourning because this series has come to an end. Throughout this series and let alone, this book, Tristan and Danika had my heart. God, they were so great in this book.

Danika, who is: older, mature and sophisticated runs a prestigious art gallery in Las Vegas. And still, trying to move forward from that devastating accident at the end of Rock Bottom. But it's hard to when your ex, who played an indirect hand to your accident, is just everywhere you are. How can you move forward? How can you even begin to give him that second chance he is asking for? As much as I loved Danika and know she went through HELL over the years. I wanted to throat punch her a few times because of how she was treating Tristan and making him feel nothing but guilt. Girl, the man said he was sorry. Be the sophisticated and forgiving woman that you are and let it go. Grieve, mourn together and move FORWARD! Took her awhile to get there, very happy when she let her wall of anger and rage start to crumble.

Tristan, who is: older, more mature, leading a clean & sober life as a Magician in Cavendish's Casino. Longing for his one and only. He knows he's screwed up...ROYALLY! But that doesn't stop him for trying to get his second chance with Danika. Can he be the supportive and strong man that Danika longed for all those years ago? Tristan, Tristan, Tristan...you pissed me off so bad in Rock Bottom. You got kicked off my Book Boyfriend list after that. Now...now you are #1 on my Book Hubby list. Not only did you prove yourself to Danika, like a million times over. You proved yourself to the fans that you are truly an amazing human being and would stop at nothing to put a smile on your girl's face. And happiness back into her heart. Also Tristan, your sexiness and lustful ways busted the Richter scale. I was beyond blushing during your sex scenes with Danika. HOLY HOTNESS!! I love you again, damn do I love you!

God!!! Why does this series have to end?!? I am so happy these two got their HEA. If any book couple deserved it more, it was definitely Tristan & Danika. The ups and downs were tremendous and at times pretty painful to read, but their send off was just emotional and beautiful. With that being said, I'm giving this one a 10 out of 5. What? I'm allowed to rate what I want. Only people who've read this series will completely understand.

Bravo Mrs. Lilley. Once again, you stole my heart with this one.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *

Links

Blog contents © Mama's Dirty Little Reads 2014-2015. Blogger Theme by NymFont with customization by Christy Makes It Pop!